Achieved Prior Learning (APL) is a way to earn Moraine Valley Community College credit for what you already know from prior learning or work experience. It is designed to help Moraine Valley students obtain Moraine Valley college credit without repeating material. Faculty members assess your knowledge through written examinations, interviews and performance tests. Academic Outreach maintains a list of courses available for APL credit and the assessment methods. If you wish to complete the APL procedures, you must be enrolled at Moraine Valley and taking classes. You cannot repeat or complete a course using APL. Visit the Academic Outreach page within MVConnect for more information.
APL is open to all Moraine Valley students. Registration is accepted anytime during the year. Forms are available in the Academic Outreach Office, Building L, Room L244.
You have 25 weeks from the day you register for the APL to complete all requirements unless your instructor designates a different schedule.
Check with the registrar of the transfer school to verify acceptance of APL credits.
You can register any time during the year. Pick up instructions and forms at the Academic Outreach office, Building L, Room L244.
The APL fee for a course is nonrefundable and may differ from the amount of tuition charged for a traditional classroom course.
- Check the master list of courses in Academic Outreach. If the class you want is on the list, note the instructors, options, and requirements.
- Obtain a Registration Form from Academic Outreach.
- Complete the student portion of the Registration Form.
- Contact Faculty and obtain consent.
- Have instructor complete faculty portion of the Registration Form.
- Obtain the necessary faculty signature(s).
- Return the Registration Form (with faculty signatures) to Academic Outreach.
- Take Registration Form to Registration Office in Building S to pay tuition and fees.
- Leave all copies of Registration Form in Building S after registering.
- Complete assessment with an instructor. You are graded on a pass/fail basis. The P/Pass destination represents a grade of "C" or better. This is not calculated as a part of your grade point average. You will receive a copy of the Registration/Grade Form by mail after the faculty complete their evaluation.
To graduate from Moraine Valley, you must earn at least 25 percent of the program requirements at Moraine Valley, in addition to credit obtained through APL. Some programs further limit the number of courses for which APL credit can be received. An APL course appears on a transcript with the designation "P" and number of credit hours earned.
APL is designed for those who already know the course material and cannot be used as an independent study.
Your knowledge is assessed by full-time faculty members in the appropriate academic or career discipline. The assessment itself may be a written examination, interview or performance test.
Submit your question or contact Academic Outreach Building L, Room L244, (708) 974-5710.