Moraine Valley may award college credit to students with prior learning or work experience through the Achieved Prior Learning (APL) assessment process. Knowledge is assessed through a combination of the following: written examinations, interviews and performance tests.
Interested students should meet with an academic advisor to determine if their degree or certificate requirements can be completed through the prior learning Achieved Prior Learning (APL) process.
How to Begin:
- Contact the Academic Outreach Office to determine if the course needed is eligible to be completed with an Achieved Prior Learning (APL) assessment. Please note: A student must be currently enrolled and working toward a degree or certificate at Moraine Valley in order to receive credit.
- Meet with designated Faculty Member or Coordinator to discuss prior experience and course assessment requirements.
- Complete an Achieved Prior Learning (APL) form and pay fee. The Achieved Prior Learning (APL) fee is $137 per course.
Achieved Prior Learning (APL) FAQs and Moraine Valley Prior Learning Policies
Prior Learning credit is available to students who are currently enrolled and pursuing a degree or certificate at Moraine Valley. Please note: Prior Learning credit can only be used to fulfill requirements in a chosen degree or certificate.
Knowledge is assessed by a faculty member in the appropriate academic or career discipline. An APL assessment may include a written examination, interview or performance test. Students are graded on a pass/fail basis. With satisfactory completion, the corresponding course credit will appear on your Moraine Valley transcript with the designation "P" (Pass) and the number of credit hours earned. Credit hours will not count toward student’s grade point average (GPA).
All requirements should be completed within the same semester student begins the Achieved Prior Learning (APL) process.
Students intending to transfer to another college or university should check with that institution regarding transfer credit policies. Credit may not be accepted as transfer credit by another college or university.
Some Degree and Certificate programs may limit the number of degree requirements which can be fulfilled with Prior Learning Credit. Check with the department and your advisor for individual program requirements.
Achieved Prior Learning (APL) is designed for those who already know the course material and cannot be used as an independent study.
- Students must be currently enrolled and working toward a degree/certificate at Moraine Valley. Course credit must be used to fulfill degree/certificate requirements.
- Credit cannot be sued to replace a previous grade earned in a course or to complete a course.
- All work assessed for prior learning must meet or exceed a grade of “C”. Minimum cut scores on standardized tests are set at a “C” grade level.
- No letter grade is assigned, and these hours will not count toward grade point average (GPA).
For More Information
If you have questions about Prior Learning or starting an Achieved Prior Learning(APL) assessment, please contact the Academic Outreach Office at (708) 974-5710, or send us your question using the form below.