Multicultural Student Affairs sponsors a number of clubs to enhance the college experience of students of color. They include:
Alliance of Latin American Students
The Alliance of Latin American Students (ALAS) is a well-established student organization at Moraine Valley Community College. It provides unity among Latino students, allowing them to share their experiences; voice their needs, and develop their ideas, programs, services, and college-wide initiatives. ALAS has united students proud of their cultural identity who enjoy social events that educate and involve the campus community.
- Encourages the pursuit of higher education and career advancement.
- Raises awareness of the diverse Latino heritage.
- Establishes a network among students both on and off campus.
- Presents speakers on cultural, educational, and social issues that affect Latino students’ educational endeavors.
- Collaborates with other student groups.
- Encourages personal growth and leadership development.
If you are interested in joining ALAS or would like to discuss the club in more detail, call (708) 974-5475.
The Latino Leadership Series
Comprised of outstanding Latino leaders from various disciplines who continue to encourage minority students to advance their education and serve as an active community service member. The Multicultural Student Affairs department and the Alliance of Latin American Students host The Latino Leadership Series once a semester. If you are interested in participating in The Latino Leadership Series, please call (708) 974-5475.
Black Student Association
The Black Student Association (BSA) creates opportunities for educational and social empowerment. Students taking charge of their life, career, direction, education, and future, do succeed. The BSA represents students working together to create positive change. If the alliance’s goals and mission sound like they could benefit your educational and personal plans while attending Moraine Valley, please join us for an event or educational workshop to learn more about the organization. Remember empowerment lies within you.
To bring this mission to fruition, the BSA has several goals:
- Create, enhance, and explore avenues to lead to the educational development of our members.
- Facilitate relationships with other students and organizations on campus and at other colleges in Illinois.
- Host social activities that bring African-American students together to build a sense of community on campus.
- Promote the advancement of higher education through networking with other students and faculty.
- Present speakers on cultural, educational, and social issues that affect African-American students’ educational endeavors.
- Seek out other student leaders to carry on the mission in the future as current students move on to higher educational endeavors.
If you are interested in joining BSA or would like to discuss the club in more detail, call (708) 974-5475.