College faculty, staff, students, parents and loved ones can refer current students to the counseling office.

A student may be in distress if:

  • There is a serious change in the quality of a student’s work
  • Exam results do not match his or her apparent knowledge of the subject material
  • Has excessive absences from class
  • Experiencing exaggerated and inappropriate emotional responses
  • Exhibits disruptive in-class behavior
  • Exhibits depressed behavior such as lack of energy or deterioration in personal appearance
  • Appears to be consistently attending class in a “hung-over” state (fatigued or in a fog, lowered concentration, tremors, increased anxiety, has the odor of alcohol, cannabis, etc., around his/her person)
  • Talking and/or writing about threatening or disturbing acts such as committing suicide, threatening harm to self or others; or sexual, verbal or physical abuse

How to Refer a Student to the Counseling Center

  • Propose that the student calls or goes to the counseling center to make an appointment. Introduce the idea in a gentle, caring and non-judgmental way. Assure the student that counseling services are strictly confidential.
  • Tell the student why you are recommending a referral. Be specific and focus on his/her behavior. Normalize the process of seeking help.
  • If the student feels uncomfortable seeking counseling services, propose to accompany the student to the Counseling Center, or call (708) 974-5722 to arrange an appointment time

How a Referral is Handled

  • The plan may include individual counseling, a referral to a practitioner in the community, attending a workshop, or referral to other campus academic support service.
  • In as much as the counseling staff is eager to help you with your concerns or questions about your student, confidentiality is an essential aspect of the counseling relationship which limits the information we can share with you about your student.