The 25th anniversary capsule was filled on June 14, 1993, with the promise that the capsule would be opened in 25 years as part of the college’s 50th anniversary. The 25th capsule was unearthed this fall and opened by welding professor Jim Greer in December. Jim and his students created the capsule in 1993. He is one of the many college employees who worked for Moraine Valley both then and now. The more than 60 current employees who worked at the college in 1993 were invited to empty the capsule at spring In-Service on Jan. 11, 2018.
See photographs of the capsule items by clicking on the gallery image to the left.
The 25th anniversary capsule includes:
- A letter indicating the capsule’s contents, a letter from Jim Greer and students, and Post-it note from then Director of Public Relations Barbara Wilcox directing Jim to place this document on top of the capsule before sealing it.
- A college activities T-shirt. (Note: T-shirt was damaged when the capsule was opened)
- Copy of petition to establish the college.
- A McDonalds bag, cup, coffee stirrer and NBA card pack.
- Bookstore items, including wristbands, baby socks and a cup.
- Support staff and faculty contracts from 1993 and the part-time faculty handbook.
- A piece of carpeting from the 1993 Building B remodeling project.
- A copy of the certificate accompanying the American flag given to the college in 1993, plus the flag raising ceremony remarks and flier.
- A graduation gown, tassel, program and ticket.
- Copies of the 25th anniversary proclamations.
- A brick from the Fine and Performing Arts Center, which was under construction at the time.
- Two Cookbooks – the college’s 25th anniversary commemorative cookbook and 1993 Duncan Hines cookbook.
- A no smoking sign.
- 25th anniversary items, including a T-shirt, cap and mug.
- A photo of all-staff taken in spring 1993, and a photo of the original employees who were still employed full-time in 1993.
- A videocassette, microfilm reel and compact disk from the Learning Resources Center.
- Copies of the transfer and career education guarantees.
- A telephone and staff directory
- A diskette and fiber optic cable
- Three editions of The Glacier student newspaper
- A computer programming textbook and student ID
- A copy of the 25th anniversary indicia use by the mailroom in 1992-93
- A package of 1993 publications and photographs from events
- A troll with Moraine Valley T-shirt with hand-stitched dates by Mary Busby, a counselor at the time.
- A rendering of the Fine and Performing Arts Center signed by then-Board Vice Chairman Burt Odelson with message.