Tips for Starting a Meditation Practice
- Take your seat in upright position with your knees lower than your hips.
- Your eyes can be downward-cast or closed.
- Set your aspiration to “be” with whatever arises: emotions, thoughts, sensations – it all “belongs.”
- Let go of any expectations/end goal about the sitting practice.
- Feel free to use a timer to avoid checking time.
- Focus on all aspects of the breath.
- When your mind takes over (which it will!), notice, let it go, and return to the breath.
- Start slow – sitting for even five or ten minutes can help settle the mind.
Note: Sometimes strong emotions and feelings may arise with meditation practice, which is totally normal. However, if you are struggling with depression, have trauma in your background or the like; you may want to be trained to practice with someone who has experience in that area.
- mindful – Meditation and mindfulness information
- Tara Brach – Psychologist/meditation teacher; provides free “New to Meditation” toolkit, talks and guided meditations
- Insight Timer – Several guided meditations; website and phone app
- Healthy Minds Program – App teaches about the brain while in mindful practice
Tips for Good Sleep
Debbie Guerrero, professor of sleep technology, offers helpful advice on how to improve your sleep.
Make sleep a priority.
- Maintain a consistent bedtime and wake time and follow a regular routine.
- Eliminate stimulating activities before bed.
- Create a comfortable sleeping environment.
- Sleep well before and after vaccination.
- Seek medical attention if your sleep is a problem.
- National Sleep Foundation
- Sleep Education
Resource provided by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Sleep Foundation
Cocoa Mousse Recipe
This simple recipe provided by Chef Rose uses only four ingredients and takes less than five minutes to prepare.
1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Keep chilled before serving.
- Spoon into a glass dish and top with fresh berries.
- Layer into a glass dish with berries and cookies to create a trifle.
Specialty Cocoa Powder Source – King Arthur Flour
They sell natural, alkalized and black cocoa powders.