Our latest installment of Trainer Tidbits is brought to you by FitRec Personal Trainer, Anna-Marie Forbes. Anna-Marie and her daughter love a delicious bowl of soup, but also know the value of making it healthy. Check out this amazing recipe below, which combines the best of both world!
Here is a must have recipe for the season. Anna-Marie stumbled across this recipe in a magazine about three years ago and has been making it at least 3-4 times a month ever since! In fact, this is her daughter’s favorite recipe that she makes! She says that when her mother starts to make it she can smell the ingredients sautéing and it soothes her soul. And the BEST PART is that it is a CLEAN COMFORT FOOD. ENJOY!
Chicken In The Pot – Makes 6 servings
A whole organic chicken + root vegetables + silky egg noodles = The ultimate let-me-take-care-of-you-dish.
• One 4-lb whole chicken
• 2 yellow onions, chopped
• 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
• 2 ribs of celery, coarsely chopped
• 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
• 3 bay leaves
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 2 sprigs of thyme
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 12 oz egg noodles
• Chopped fresh parsley and dill, for garnishing purposes
• 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
1. Bring chicken and enough water to cover an 1” over the the chicken – to a boil in an 8-qt pot. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. 2. Add the vegetables, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer for about an hour 3. Remove bay leaves, garlic, and thyme (you can discard them). Take the chicken out and shred the meat. Add the chicken back to the pot. 4. Cook the noodles in a separate pot: divide the soup between 6 bowls. Top with herbs and a side of lemons to squeeze.
Recipe from Rodale’s OrganicLife Magazine. Detox your body and home. 13 August 2019. P.122. Monica Buck