Can I receive financial aid for noncredit classes?
The Illinois Veterans Grant and Illinois National Guard Grant are available for noncredit classes. However, most other federal and/or state aid covers only credit classes applied toward a degree or certificate program.

Can I receive financial aid if I already have a bachelor’s degree?
Scholarships and student loans may be available to eligible students. The federal and state grants are available for undergraduate students only.

If I do not receive support from my parents, am I required to provide their income/asset information?
If you are under 24 years of age, unmarried, have no dependents, and are not a veteran, orphan or ward of the court, you must provide your parent’s income and asset information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid even if you do not live with a parent. Students with extenuating circumstances should meet with a financial aid expeditor.

What should I do if I am not able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
You can obtain a tax return transcript (summary of tax information) from an Internal Revenue Service Office or by calling 1(800)-829-1040.

Do I need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid each semester?
No, you need to complete the application only once per YEAR as soon as possible after Jan. 1 preceding the academic year. The applications are good for an academic year (fall, spring and summer).

Is there financial aid for summer school?
Students who are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant may have eligibility left for summer if he/she was not a full-time student for both fall and spring semesters. Student loans are available if the student has successfully completed at least six credit hours in the preceding spring semester and meets all other eligibility criteria.

What certificate programs are ineligible for financial aid?
To be eligible for federal and state financial aid, a student must be enrolled in a degree program or a certificate program that is at least 15 weeks in length and16 credit hours. An example of an ineligible program is the Phlebotomy certificate because it is only 9 credit hours in length.

When will I receive my financial aid refund?
You will receive an award letter once your financial aid paperwork is complete. Included in the award letter is information regarding when financial aid will be applied to your tuition account. Once the current semester’s balance is paid, any additional funds will be mailed to your home. If a student fails to cash a check within 90 days of issue, the college will cancel the check and return the funds to the government. Once funds are returned, it may not be possible to reissue the aid.

What are the procedures for taking out a student loan?
You need to first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and bring all required documents to the Financial Aid Office. You then need to meet with an Expeditor to initiate the loan process. If you are a new borrower at Moraine Valley you will be given an appointment for an entrance loan counseling session. If you are a repeat borrower, you will be required to complete entrance loan counseling online. To be eligible for a loan, you must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA or better, be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours and be enrolled in no more than 75 percent of developmental/remedial classes.