Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (PLEU)

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 100 percent, the six-year equivalent is 600 percent.

Percent used: To determine how much of the maximum six years (600 percent) of Pell Grant you have used each year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) compares the actual amount you received for the award year with your scheduled award amount for that award year. If you receive the full amount of your scheduled award, you will have used 100 percent. It’s possible you might not receive your entire scheduled award for an award year. There are a number of reasons for this, the most common of which are you are not enrolled for the full year and/or you are not enrolled full-time (12 or more credit hours).

If you did not receive the full amount of your scheduled award, Moraine Valley calculates the percentage of the scheduled award you did receive. For example, if your scheduled award for an award year was $5,000, but you enrolled for only one semester, you received $2,500—50 percent of the scheduled award for that award year. If you received only $3,750 for the award year because you enrolled three-quarter-time, you received 75 percent for that year.

Subsidized Usage Limit Applies (SULA)

Maximum eligibility period to receive Direct Subsidized Loans

There is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. In general, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150 percent of the published length of your program. This is called your “maximum eligibility period.” You can find the published length of any program of study in the Moraine Valley Community College catalog.

For example, if you are enrolled in a two-year associate degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is three years (150 percent of two years = three years).

Your maximum eligibility period is based on the published length of your current program and can change if you switch programs. If you do switch programs, the Direct Subsidized Loans you received for the first program you enrolled in generally will count against your new maximum eligibility period.

Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) Limit

Limit for each term: Payment for each term is made according to the equivalent number of credit hours eligible for MAP payment, with a minimum of three and a maximum of 15 MAP Paid Credit Hours. If you are enrolled for the equivalent of 15 or more credit hours, the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours assessed to you will be 15. If you enroll in a different number of credit hours during the various terms of the same academic year, your actual MAP award may be different for each of those terms.

Limit for freshman and sophomore students: There is a limit on the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be paid while you are classified by your school as a freshman or sophomore. This limit is the equivalent of 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours. If this maximum is reached, you must attain junior status at whichever school you are (or will be) attending for your MAP grant eligibility to resume.

Please note: Moraine Valley Community College is limited to a sophomore status.

Total limit: The maximum number of MAP Paid Credit Hours is capped at the equivalent of 135 MAP Paid Credit Hours.

Students with Bachelor Degree Limits

Once you have a bachelor’s degree or a first professional degree, you are generally not eligible for MAP, Pell or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG). You may be eligible to apply for Federal Work Study and Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans if you have not borrowed your maximum loan eligibility.

If your bachelor’s degree was received in a foreign country, it must be evaluated by an accredited agency to ensure it is the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. Moraine Valley recommends Educational Perspectives ( For assistance with finding other accredited agencies, visit the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website (

If you have a bachelor’s degree, whether it was earned in the U.S. or a foreign country, and you are pursuing a Moraine Valley Associate in Applied Science degree or certificate that is at least 16 hours and financial aid eligible, you must meet with an academic advisor to obtain a signed Career Program Worksheet. Your program on record must match the program listed on your Career Program Worksheet to be eligible.

You are not eligible for aid if you are not degree/certificate seeking at Moraine Valley. Call the Academic Advising Center at (708) 974-5721 for availability.