How does Dual Credit differ from Advanced Placement (AP)?
Both courses are taught at the college level. However, college credit is awarded for advanced placement courses only upon completion of a single assessment test. In addition, different cut scores are required by different institutions for credit in these courses. Dual credit courses earn college credit in the same manner as any other college course – through satisfactory performance on such assessments as quizzes, tests, and homework assignments.

In addition, dual credit courses are taught by qualified college faculty who hold the appropriate credentials in the subject matter. For instance, faculty teaching general education courses must hold at least a Master’s degree in the subject area. High school AP courses do not have this requirement.

Want to view the dual credit you have earned?
It’s easy! Go to the MVConnect student portal. Use the Username Lookup to find your username. Your password will be your 8-digit birth date (MMDDYYYY). Once you have signed onto the campus portal, look under Academic Profile for your transcript.

Use your dual credit at Moraine Valley.
Your Moraine Valley college transcript includes your dual credit classes, so you’re already on your way toward earning a certificate or degree.

Thinking of attending Moraine Valley?
Since you are a Moraine Valley student, we want to provide you with the necessary steps to continue your education at Moraine Valley. Follow the Dual Credit Pathway for your next steps in transitioning from high school to college.

Thinking of attending another college or university?
Your Moraine Valley transcript reflects your dual credit courses, whether or not you attend Moraine Valley after your high school graduation, and can be sent to any institution you plan to attend. You can request an official transcript.

Want to learn about where your credits will be accepted?
Contact Academic Advising to review transfer guides to four-year institutions.

Does Illinois have any regulations in place concerning Dual Credit / Dual Enrollment?
Dual credit programs at community colleges follow administrative rules established by the Illinois Community College Board and the Higher Learning Commission. Even under these rules, substantial variation exists as institutions have the flexibility to respond to local demands.

Can I enroll in Dual Credit and Dual Enrollment courses at the same time?
Yes! Students may take both types of courses simultaneously. You must be 16 years of age and high school authorization is required for the Dual Enrollment program. Dual Enrollment students are required to meet the same course placement requirements.

What is FERPA and how does it affect me?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), as amended (also referred to as the Buckley Amendment), is a federal law regarding the privacy of student educational records and the access provided to these records. Any educational institution that receives funds under any program administered by the U.S. Secretary of Education is bound by FERPA requirements. Upon enrollment as a MVCC Dual Credit and/or Dual Enrollment student, MVCC will only communicate with the student regarding their educational records and billing information unless indicated on the Daul Credit online application.

How do I pay for Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment courses?

Pay Online:

  • Login to MVConnect.
  • Enter user name and password.
  • Navigate to the Pay on My Account page. (Self-Service Menu>Student Account Information>Pay on My Account)

Pay In-Person:

  • Student account balances paid in person can be made at the Cashier’s Office located on the 1st floor of Building S, Room S105. Checks should be made payable to MVCC and include the student’s ID number.

Am I eligible for financial aid?
No. Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment students do not qualify for financial aid.

What are other ways in which I can earn college credit while still in high school?
The Advanced Placement (AP) program and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) both allow students to gain college credit in various subject areas by successfully completing comprehensive examinations in those subjects.

Does Moraine Valley accept Advanced Placement (AP) scores?
Yes, Moraine Valley awards credit on the basis of scores earned on the AP examinations. See a full list of scores below. In order to post Advance Placement credit on your Moraine Valley transcript, you must submit an official College Board grade report along with a Transcript Credit Evaluation Request (found in the MVConnect student portal) to the Records Office, located in Building S, Room S111. If documents are not received within 60 days after the evaluation form is filed, the Records Office will inactivate your request and you must submit another evaluation request. Evaluations may take six to eight weeks to complete from the time all documents are received.

AP Exam TitleMVCC Course Equivalent(s)Required ScoreCredit Hours
Art HistoryART-11033
BiologyBIO-111 and BIO-11238
Calculus ABMTH-15035
Calculus BCMTH-15025
Calculus BCMTH-150 and MTH-151310
ChemistryCHM-131 and CHM-13244
Computer Science AMIS-10533
Computer Science ACSC-1404 or 53
English Language and CompositionCOM-101 and COM-10236
Environmental ScienceNAT-11144
European HistoryHIS-10233
French Language and CultureFRE-101 and FRE-10238
German Language and CultureGER-10144
German Language and CultureGER-101 and GER-10258
Government and Politics: ComparativePSC-21533
Government and Politics: U. S.PSC-11033
Music TheoryMUS-10333
Physics BPHY-15034
Physics BPHY-150 and PHY-15148
Physics C-MechanicsPHY-20344
Physics C-Electricity & MagnetismPHY-20444
Spanish LanguageSPA-101 and SPA-10238
Spanish Literature and CultureSPA-101 and SPA-10238
U.S. HistoryHIS-201 and HIS-20236