Moraine Valley is a designated testing center for the high school equivalency test. A person who has not graduated from high school but who successfully passes the high school equivalency test earns a certificate issued by the Illinois State Board of Education as being equivalent to a high school diploma.
As per the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB), an individual is eligible to take the GED®, HiSET®, or TASC™ exam provided they meet all of the following conditions:
- 17 years of age or older*
- Does not have a high school diploma and is not currently enrolled in a secondary school
- Is a resident of the State of Illinois
* Underage testing requirements:
- If an individual is 17 years old and has been enrolled in a public, private, or a home school setting in the last 12 months, they must present a withdrawal letter from the last high school enrolled in before taking an HSE exam.
- If homeschooled, the individual must also provide a letter from the person responsible for the homeschooling [e.g., instructor, tutor, parent, guardian, etc.] stating the program has been completed, the individual is no longer required to be homeschooled, and the individual has been cleared to take an HSE exam.
Proof of withdrawal must be given to Moraine Valley Adult Education Department when registering for HSE classes and emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 217-558-6700.
Registration and Cost
Applicants can register and pay for the high school equivalency test by creating an account an account at www.myged.com. Testers may take one test at a time at the price of $30 per test or all four tests for $120.00
The high school equivalency exam includes:
- Reasoning through Language Arts including extended response essay.
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Social Studies
As a requirement of Illinois Public Law 195, the Constitution of the United States, the Illinois Constitution, and Declaration of Independence, and the proper display and use of the United States flag must be passed. MVCC HSE students will take the Constitution test as part of their Writing class.
GED candidates who tested on paper-and-pencil in a Cook County GED testing center from 1942 to December 31, 2013, and Cook County residents who tested for GED, HiSET, or TASC on computer after October 1, 2012 will find their record on file with the Cook County HSE Records office. All others, Click Here for Information on how to obtain your records.
Candidates may make an appointment to visit the Cook County HSE Records office to obtain a certificate and/or transcript by calling 312-814-4488. Appointments in the office are available Monday – Friday (except on state holidays) from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (closed 12:00 p.m. – 1:00p.m.). See the list of “Closed Dates” on the right side of this page.
Candidates must present a valid State ID or Driver’s License and bring a cashier’s check or money order for the total amount payable to ICCB-GED. WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH, CREDIT CARDS, DEBIT CARDS, OR PERSONAL CHECKS.
Individuals picking up another candidate’s HSE certificate or transcript must present a notarized release signed by the candidate granting permission to the Cook County HSE Records Office to issue the certificate and/or transcript. A copy of the Candidate’s photo identification will be required along with the notarized release, complete request form, and payment. The individual picking up the certificate and/or transcript, must present photo identification as well.
To get your Illinois High School Equivalency Certificate or Transcript through the mail, you must:
- Download, print, and complete the Request Form (see below).
- Enclose a cashier’s check or money order payable to ICCB. Do not send cash or personal checks. All fees are non-refundable
- $10.00 per transcript
- $10.00 per certificate
- Send the Request Form, copy of valid photo identification, other supporting documentation (if needed), and payment to the address below:
Illinois Community College Board
James R. Thompson Center
100 W Randolph St, Ste 2-010
Chicago, IL 60601
ATTN: Cook County High School Equivalency Office
If you are a third-party transcript requester, you must have the following:
- The Request Form (see above) with the candidate’s signature on the form. No electronic signatures.
- A Money order, cashier’s check, or company check for the appropriate amount ($10.00 per transcript) payable to ICCB.
- Send the Request Form, copy of valid photo identification, other supporting documentation (if needed) and payment to the address on the form.
Certificate and transcripts will be issued in the name used during testing. We do not email or fax any certificates and/or transcripts. Turnaround time is 2 to 3 weeks from the time we receive the request. If the Request Form is incomplete (i.e. missing candidate’s signature, etc.), there is no fee or incorrect payment, all paperwork will be returned to the sender for revision and resubmission.
GED, HiSET, or TASC Verification
For a GED, HiSET, or TASC Verification Letter only, please contact the Cook County HSE Records office at 312-814-4488 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third-Parties requesting verifications must send a release form authorizing the Cook County High School Equivalency (HSE) Records Office signed by the candidate. The turnaround time is 24 to 72 hours.