Moraine Valley's Student Support Services program is committed to helping you achieve your academic goals. Together with an educational case manager, you will develop a plan for completing your degree and transferring to the four-year institution of your choice. Services we offer:
- Academic advising
- Career and personal support
- College 101 support
- Computer study area and computer technology
- Cultural activities
- Financial assistance/scholarship searches
- Financial literacy seminars
- Student Resources
- Transfer advising
College 101 Support
All of the professional staff members of the TRIO/Student Support Services program have experience teaching College 101 and can help if you have questions about assignments. Remember, you must complete both the educational planning assignment and the final paper in College 101 to pass the course. Please see a staff member if you need help with these assignments. Call Beverly Behland at (708) 974-5648 or e-mail email@example.com to make an appointment with a staff member.
The program can help you successfully complete the College 101 course the first time you take it. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions about the course or need additional assistance.
Computer Lab and Technological Assistance
The Student Support Services office computer lab for use by TRIO/SSS participants contains computers, scanners and printers. All printing is free in the computer lab.
The office also provides additional technological equipment to students for class projects and assignments, such as a camcorder with tripod, digital camera, TV/VCR/DVD, portable radio/CD/cassette tape deck, headphones, calculators and laminating equipment.
Equipment is available for use during regular office hours.
The Student Support Services program offers students the opportunity to attend cultural events and activities in an effort to educate students about various racial/ethnic groups, including traditional cuisine, religious traditions, art, music or other aspects of culture. All cultural trips include lunch and transportation. Trips are free for TRIO/SSS participants. Previous cultural activities have included:
- Plays: The Lion King; Dream Girls
- Scenic trips: Chicago Architectural Tour, Chicago food tour, Mosque Foundation of Chicago, DuSable Museum of African American History, Mexican American Museum of Art, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, The Art Institute of Chicago, Washington, DC, Atlanta, Ga., Nashville, Tenn., Memphis, Tenn., Philadelphia, Pa., and New York, N.Y.
- College/University visits: University of Illinois, Northern Illinois University, Western Illinois University, Columbia College-Chicago; DePaul University, Roosevelt University, Loyola University, Northwestern University, University of Chicago, Chicago State University, Tennessee State University, University of Memphis, Georgia State University, Georgia Tech University, Morehouse College, Spelman College, Clark-Atlanta University, Morgan State University, and Howard University.
- Cultural Trips
Services for students include resources for studying and personal development assistance with topics such as stress management, time management, increasing self-esteem, and becoming more assertive.