The following student organizations are housed in Multicultural Student Affairs:
- Alliance of Latin American Students
- Alliance of African-American Students
- Arab Student Union
- South Asian Student Association
The Alliance of Latin American Students (ALAS) is a well-established student organization at Moraine Valley Community College. It provides unity among Latino students, allowing them to share their experiences; voice their needs, and develop their ideas, programs, services, and college-wide initiatives. ALAS has united students proud of their cultural identity who enjoy social events that educate and involve the campus community.
- Encourages the pursuit of higher education and career advancement.
- Raises awareness of the diverse Latino heritage.
- Establishes a network among students both on and off campus.
- Presents speakers on cultural, educational, and social issues that affect Latino students' educational endeavors.
- Collaborates with other student groups.
- Encourages personal growth and leadership development.
If you are interested in joining ALAS or would like to discuss the club in more detail, call (708) 974-5487.
The Latino Leadership Series
Comprised of outstanding Latino leaders from various disciplines who continue to encourage minority students to advance their education and serve as a active community service member. The Multicultural Student Affairs department and the Alliance of Latin American Students hosts The Latino Leadership Series once a semester. If you are interested in participating in The Latino Leadership Series, please call (708) 974-5475.
Jody Gaunt Scholarship
Established by the Alliance of Latin American students in honor of Jody Gaunt. Can be used toward textbooks and classroom supplies.
The Alliance of African-American Students (AAAS) creates opportunities for educational and social empowerment. Students taking charge of their life, career, direction, education, and future, do succeed. The AAAS represents students working together to create positive change. If the alliance's goals and mission sound like they could benefit your educational and personal plans while attending Moraine Valley, please join us for an event or educational workshop to learn more about the organization. Remember empowerment lies within you.
To bring this mission to fruition, the AAAS has several goals:
- Create, enhance, and explore avenues to lead to the educational development of our members.
- Facilitate relationships with other students and organizations on campus and at other colleges in Illinois.
- Host social activities that bring African-American students together to build a sense of community on campus.
- Promote the advancement of higher education through networking with other students and faculty.
- Present speakers on cultural, educational, and social issues that affect African-American students' educational endeavors.
- Seek out other student leaders to carry on the mission in the future as current students move on to higher educational endeavors.
If you are interested in joining AAAS or would like to discuss the club in more detail, call
The Arab Student Union is an organization designed to represent all Arab students at Moraine Valley Community College. We educate members, other students, and faculty members about the diverse Arab nations and enhance cultural fulfillment on campus.
The Arab Student Union also provides Arab students with an opportunity to maintain cultural identity, ideas, and share this culture with the community. Twenty-two countries share Arabic as their native language, and 22 cultures and traditions descend from one root. Arab students of both Muslim and Christian faith gather and emerge as one unit.
The Arab Student Union offers:
- programs, events and activities that respond to the needs of Arab students
- an environment in which Arab students can learn and grow through organizational and leadership skills
- opportunities to improve personal, academic, and career growth
- opportunities to foster relationships with other students and organizations
- a variety of informal learning experiences
If you are interested in joining the Arab Student Union or would like to discuss the club in more detail, contact Nina Shoman-Dajani, club advisor, at (708) 974-5475 or email@example.com.
South Asian Student Association
The South Asian Student Association serves students, by introducing and promoting South Asian cultural values. The South Asian Student Association is devoted to strengthening the bond among the South Asian students and the community at Moraine Valley Community College through our cultural and social events.
The South Asian Student Association would like to give students, staff, and community residents an opportunity to interact with our dynamic group. We are students seeking, interested and motivated people to work together. By joining South Asian Student Association, you will enjoy and learn about colorful, interesting and ancient cultures.
- Provide an environment in which students can learn and grow through organizational and leadership skills.
- Provide a link between South Asian Student Association students to maintain our cultural identity.
- Enhance community awareness about South Asian culture.
- Develop events and activities that are responsive to the needs of South Asian students.
- Promote student participation in activities.
- Encourage Indian and Pakistani students to improve personal, academic, and career growth.
- Create unity among various ethnic groups.
- Maintain continuous celebration of cultural, religious and historical events.
We encourage all cultures and ethnicities to join us and take advantage of the opportunity to lean more about Indian and Pakistani Student Union. For more information, contact Multicultural Student Affairs at (708) 974-5475.