Home | Class Schedule | Library | Campus Visit | Employment | Contact Us | Search  

About Us | Academics | Admissions/Registration | Resources | Student Activities | What's Happening


Courses Offered

Proficiency Credit/APL

Request for Information

Scholarship and Financial Aid Information

Addictions Studies

Criminal Justice

Fire Service Management

Fire Service Operations

Fitness Trainer

Physical Education and Health

Security Services
(formerly Private Protective Services)

Recreation Management

Recreation Therapy




Recreation Management�FAQs

Can I get a job with an Associate in Applied Science degree in recreation management?
Students can get an entry-level job with an Associate in Applied Science degree in recreation management any of these various employment settings:

  • Camps
  • Community Center
  • Golf Course
  • Outdoor Aquatic Center
  • Indoor Water Park
  • Outdoor Amusement Park
  • Outdoor Education Center
  • Park District
  • Pre School Day Care
  • Private Wellness and Fitness Center
  • Public Fitness Center
  • Senior Retirement Complex

However, we do not encourage students to stop after their two-year degree. The pursuit of college courses does demonstrate a professional commitment to the field. For job and internship listings and job search assistance, contact the Job Resource Center in Building S, Room S202 at (708) 974-5737 or visit http://www.morainevalley.edu/jrc.

What type of job can I get with a Bachelor's (four-year degree) in recreation management?
Some jobs in the field of recreation management require you to be certified as a recreation professional, Certified park and recreation professional, C.P.R.P. This certification is available only upon completion of your four-year degree. The Illinois Parks and Recreation Association is the certifying body. More information on this Certification can be found on the related links page.

Examples of different positions and employment settings hiring individuals with four-year degrees are listed below:

Type of Position Employment Setting

Recreation Supervisor
Nature Center Director
Fitness Center Manager
Golf Course Manager
Parks and Recreation Director
Athletic Supervisor
Special Events Coordinator
Cultural Arts Supervisor
Public Relations Coordinator
Recreation Superintendent
Senior Coordinator
Program Planner

Community Center
Outdoor/Indoor Education Center
Health Clubs
Golf Courses
Park Districts
Sports Complexes
Tourist Attractions
Theme Parks
Campus Recreation
Senior Centers
Cruise Ships

May I transfer Recreation Management courses from Moraine Valley Community College to a four-year school?
Management courses transfer to other colleges and universities. The following schools in Illinois offer a 4-year degree in Recreation Management:

Commuter Options Residential

Chicago State University
University of St. Francis

Western Illinois University
Eastern Illinois University 
Southern Illinois University 
Illinois State University

The requirements for each of the above schools are slightly different. To assist you in the transfer process, it is best that you set up an appointment with Donna J. McCauley, coordinator of the Recreation Management Program. It's best to contact her prior to your first semester of course work at (708) 974-5227 or mccauley@morainevalley.edu.

What courses in Recreation Management should I take my first semester?
It is highly recommended for students to take REC-101 Recreation and Wellness Professions with some of the required general education courses during their first semester. During this first semester, it's best to set up an appointment with Donna McCauley to assist you in scheduling courses to pursue your two-year Associate of Applied Science Degree.

Can I transfer course credit into the program?
Recreation Management coursework and General Education Courses from other community colleges or four-year schools may be transferred into the program. The Coordinator of Recreation Management, Donna J. McCauley, can help facilitate this process.

Is financial aid available?
Information regarding grants and scholarships is available from Financial Aid
(708) 974-5343.

Does the program include an internship experience?
A required part of the Moraine Valley Community College Recreation Management program is the Practicum/seminar component, which allows you to gain valuable experience through a firsthand view of the field. You will work 200 clock hours during a semester at approved sites, as well as meet with the internship coordinator to discuss your experiences in the field. To qualify for a practicum, you must complete all your required career courses. Effective fall 2006, internship experiences will be limited to the spring semester. Students who plan to complete an internship in spring semester must notify the Program Coordinator in writing on or before October 1. Also, Upon completion of your courses, you will set up a meeting with the internship coordinator. By participating in the Practicum/Seminar, you will make strong professional contacts and form concrete career goals.

 About Us | Academics | Admissions/Registration | Resources | Student Activities | What's Happening

Moraine Valley Community College, 9000 W. College Pkwy., Palos Hills, IL 60465-2478 
(708) 974-4300  TTY (708) 974-9556
All rights reserved.