Moraine Valley Community College || Public Service || Fire Service Management || Career Opportunities

Fire Service Management—FAQs

How long will the program take to complete?
Program length depends on the individual student. A full-time student can complete the program in two years. It may take a part-time student as long as eight years to complete the requirements of the program.

Do you have to take the Fire Service Management courses in sequential order?
It is not necessary to take the courses in a particular order. It is highly recommended that you discuss this with an advisor or the program coordinator. Some courses require prerequisites. We schedule the first-level Fire Officer classes in the fall and the second-level classes in the spring.

What can you do with an Associates Degree in Fire Service Management?
There are many employment opportunities for graduates. Graduates work in municipal fire departments suppression divisions, fire inspection bureaus, fire investigation bureaus, fire insurance companies, etc.

How easy or difficult is it to find a job? 
Jobs in fire service management are very competitive. For firefighter positions, you will need to take a test for each municipality and be placed on a waiting list.

Are courses offered at night and on weekends? 
Fire service management courses are offered during the day, evening, and on weekends. Many courses are offered at fire stations within the district so students have easy access to state-of-the-art equipment being used in fire departments. Check the course schedule for specific offerings. Also, watch the fire station bulletin boards.

Do the instructors have time to answer questions on a one to one basis?
Yes! The Coordinator of the Fire Service Management Program, Andy Hufnagl, will be happy to answer all of your questions regarding the Fire Service Management Program. Feel free to call Andy at (708) 608-4404, or

Will the courses from this program transfer to any four year schools? 
Moraine Valley has established partnerships with four-year colleges and universities. Contact the program coordinator for more information. All of our program general education classes transfer to Southern Illinois University's Bachelor's Degree Program through a capstone agreement.

Is it possible for me to earn college credit for previous learning, such as certificates earned through the Office of the State Fire Marshal? If so, what are the first three things I need to do?
Contact the Academic Outreach Department in Building L, Room L244 or (708) 974-5710. . Bring a copy of your certificates.