Membership Eligibility Requirements
Students are invited to join the Alpha Iota Lambda Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa based on their academic achievements. To qualify for membership, a student must:
- Be currently enrolled at Moraine Valley Community College
- Have earned at least 12 credit hours at Moraine Valley Community College
- Have earned a CUMULATIVE grade point average of at least 3.5 or above
- Pay a one-time membership fee prior to being inducted
Part-time students and international students are welcome to become members of our society.
Membership applications are available online or can be picked up in the Student Life Center, U113.
Membership in Phi Theta Kappa brings many benefits. Active members have numerous opportunities to participate in a variety of activities to fulfill their own interests, develop new skills, and contribute to the campus and community. When applying for a job, a scholarship, or admission into a specific program, all activities in which students participate can be listed to set the student apart from the other applicants.
Regardless of your participation level though, the following benefits are available to all members:
- Prestigious Golden Key membership pin
- Impressive gold-embossed certificate of membership, which is a wonderful addition to your portfolio
- Society's gold diploma seal affixed to their two-year college diplomas
- Membership noted on official transcript (upon request)
- Society's golden monogrammed honors stole and gold tassel to be worn during commencement
- Wallet-size identification card
- Eligible for nomination by Moraine Valley Community College for the All-USA Academic Team competition. In addition, Illinois sponsors an All-State Academic Team program
- Automatically nominated for the prestigious National Dean's List biographical publication
- May submit manuscripts to Nota Bene, the society's literary honors anthology
- May request an official letter of recommendation for both scholarships and employment from society headquarters
- Can receive a permanent Phi Theta Kappa e-mail address
- Can request a newspaper press release be sent to their local paper announcing their membership
- Have online access to Phi Theta Kappa Leadership Lessons to help you strengthen your leadership skills
- Can access numerous transfer scholarship opportunities available only to members. For an online listing of these, go to Phi Theta Kappa's Scholarship Programs. Members may apply for more than $36 million in transfer scholarships, provided exclusively to society members by more than 600 senior institutions.
- May join Get Connected, the exclusive place to find cutting-edge services, programs and resources selected especially to meet your needs
- Have the option to select to become a standard or enhanced member of our chapter. Because participation is not required to become a standard member of our society, enhanced members have the opportunity to strive to be a part of programs that support our four hallmarks of scholarship, leadership, service and fellowship. Enhanced members are encouraged to track their participation for recognition purposes throughout the year.