Careers in Math
Considering a career in math? Good idea! With a mastery of mathematical skills, you can pursue many different careers. Talk to a mathematics faculty member or an advisor to discuss your options today.
Answer the age-old question, "When Will I Use Math?". You just may discover some surprising answers.
Many careers in math require a bachelor's degree. Consider contacting the college or university you'd like to attend to discuss their math program requirements. Some local area colleges and universities with undergraduate math programs include:
- DePaul University: las.depaul.edu/math
- Elmhurst College: public.elmhurst.edu/mathematics
- Illinois State University: math.illinoisstate.edu
- Loyola University: www.luc.edu/math/index.shtml
- Northern Illinois University: www.math.niu.edu
- Roosevelt University: www.roosevelt.edu/CAS/Programs/MATH.aspx
- Saint Xavier University: www.sxu.edu/Academic/Liberal/Math/default.asp
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: www.math.uiuc.edu
- University of Illinois at Chicago: www.math.uic.edu
Love math, but you're still undecided on a career direction?
Here's just a few math-related careers to consider.
People in math careers
Financial and investment analysts
High school teachers/college instructors
Quality control engineers
People in careers that use math
Real estate agents
Need more information on math careers?
Check out these resources and start planning your successful future in math.
American Mathematical Society www.ams.org/home/page
Learn about research mathematicians and what they do.
American Statistical Association
Learn about careers in statistics.
Be an Actuary www.beanactuary.org
Find out what an actuary does.
Chronicle of Higher Education chronicle.com/section/Home/5
Job resources for careers in higher education.
Mathematical Association of America
An organization for people who love the mathematical sciences.
National Council for Teachers of Mathematics
Provides math resources and professional development for math teachers at all levels.
Society of Actuaries www.soa.org
Learn what it takes to be an actuary.
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Learn about careers in applied math.