Programs within the Department (All programs are tuition-free)
- Adult Basic Education (ABE)—Enrollees may be in Basic Skills (4.0-5.9) or Pre-GED (6.0-8.9). These classes work on improving basic academic skills, such as reading, writing, and mathematics. The classes help students transition into GED classes.
- General Educational Development (GED)—Enrollees for GED classes (9.0 and above in reading) are prepared for the GED test skills of mathematics, reading, and writing.
- English as a Second Language (ESL)—This program is designed to help individuals speak, read, and write the English language.
- ESL Computer Class—Basic computer skills including keyboard, mouse, email are taught to English as a Second Language learners.
- Adult Literacy Program—This program addresses the needs of adults who want to learn to read or improve basic reading, writing and mathematics skills. Trained volunteer tutors provide individualized basic skills instruction for students at local libraries, community centers, churches, and the college.
- Academic Skills Center—Tutoring for all levels of MVCC students, including ABE, GED, and ESL.
Public assistance clients (TANF) may be eligible for childcare and transportation reimbursements when funding is available.