Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) is located on the second floor of Building S in the Student Services Center.
In addition to forming collaborative partnerships with other divisions on campus to co-sponsor students and community activities, MSA has specific programmatic initiatives, which include:
- Academic advising
- Transfer assistance
- Computerized scholarship information search and career planning assistance
- Educational planning resources (i.e. references, college catalogs, college applications, videos, and transfer guides)
- Hosting representatives from sister colleges and universities
- Faculty/staff mentoring program
- Peer (student) mentoring and study groups
- Personal enrichment workshops
- University field trips
- Educational, cultural, and social activities
- High school recruitment
- Sponsoring student organizations
- ESL Bridge
The goals of MSA are to:
- Increase access and opportunity for students of color and students with limited English to pursue higher education.
- Promote development of academic and social skills necessary for college and career success.
- Assist in evaluating educational documents and skills attained in other countries.
- Provide assistance to attain a college degree.
- Facilitate successful transfer to a four-year institution.
The department of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) brings together
staff from the Minority Student Transfer Center (MSTC) and the Access and
Success for Higher Education Program to promote the success of students of
color and students with limited English. Multicultural Student Affairs
programs at Moraine Valley Community College are designed to recruit,
retain, and promote degree completion of students of color and individuals
with limited English. MSA provides direct student support services and
coordinates individual and group activities to promote integration into the
college environment and academic success. Multicultural Student Affairs
services are available to all students. However, primary constituents are
individuals of color and individuals with limited English. Through students
services, MSA supports academic excellence and stimulates positive social
and cultural interaction.
MSA takes an active role in promoting respect for diversity and exploration and learning from the myriad cultures that our increasingly diverse student body presents. MSA works to foster a community in which the reality of cultural diversity is recognized and celebrated.
In collaboration with the Student Life office, MSA actively supports student organizations such as the Alliance of African American Students, the Alliance of Latin American Students, the Arab Student Union, and the Indian and Pakistani Student Union. MSA assists student organizations in coordinating educational, cultural, and social activities, as well as offering guidance on issues related to diversity.