Home | Class Schedule | Library | Campus Visit | Employment | Contact Us | Search  

About Us | Academics | Admissions/Registration | Resources | Student Activities | What's Happening


Courses Offered

Proficiency Credit/APL

Request for Information

Scholarship and Financial Aid Information

Addictions Studies

Criminal Justice

Fire Service Management

Fire Service Operations

Fitness Trainer

Physical Education and Health

Security Services
(formerly Private Protective Services)

Recreation Management

Recreation Therapy




Recreation Therapy�FAQs

Will I need to complete a criminal background check for this program?
Yes, in order to comply with certain state statutes and/or clinical affiliation agreements, students may be asked to complete a criminal background check. Application forms for criminal background checks may be obtained through the Career Programs Subdivision Office, B150, and fees paid to the Cashier's Office. For information on criminal background application procedures, please contact the Career Programs Subdivision Office at (708) 974-5708. Deadline dates for completion of criminal background checks will be announced by Program Coordinators.

Can I get a job with an Associate in Applied Science degree in recreation therapy?
Students can get a job with an Associate in Applied Science degree in recreation therapy. Examples of different types of jobs are listed below:

Type of Position Employment Setting

Activity Director

Rehabilitation Center

 Program Service Coordinator

 Alzheimer's Assisted Living

 Activity Coordinator

 Adult Day Care Center

 Residential Counselor

 Community Integrated Living  Arrangement 

 Activity Therapist  Residential Home
 Program Leader  Special Recreation Association

However, we do not encourage students to stop after their two- year degree. The pursuit of college courses does demonstrate a professional commitment to the field. For job and internship listings and job search assistance, contact the Job Resource Center in Building S, Room S202 at (708) 974-5737 or visit http://www.morainevalley.edu/jrc.

What type of job can I get with a four-year degree?
Some jobs in the field of Recreation Therapy require you to be Certified as a Recreation Therapist C.T.R.S. This certification is available only upon completion of your four-year degree. The National Council on Therapeutic Recreation Certification is the certifying body. More information on NCTRC can be found on the related links page. Examples of different positions and types of agencies hiring individuals with four-year degrees are listed below:

Type of Position Employment Setting

Recreation Therapist
Activity Coordinator
Special Recreation Supervisor
Adapted Physical Education
Child Life Specialist

Physical Rehabilitation
Psychiatric Rehabilitation
Special Recreation Association
Pediatric Hospital

May I transfer Recreation Therapy courses from Moraine Valley Community College to a four-year school?
Most of the Recreation Therapy courses transfer to other colleges and universities. The following schools in Illinois offer a four-year degree in Recreation Therapy:

Commuter Options Residential

Chicago State University
University of St. Francis

Western Illinois University
Eastern Illinois University 
Southern Illinois University 
Illinois State University

The requirements for each of the above schools is slightly different. To assist you in the transfer process it is best that you set up an appointment with the Coordinator of Recreation Therapy, Donna J. McCauley, at (708) 974-5227 or mccauley@morainevalley.edu during your first semester of courses.

What courses in Recreation Therapy should I take my first semester?
It is highly recommended for students to take REC-101 Recreation and Wellness Professions with some of the required general education courses during their first semester. During this first semester, it's best to set up an appointment with the coordinator of Recreation Therapy, Donna J. McCauley, to assist you in scheduling courses to pursue your two-year Associate in Applied Science degree.

Can I transfer course credit into the program?
Recreation Therapy coursework and General Education Courses from other community colleges or four-year degree schools may be transferred into the program. The coordinator of Recreation Therapy, Donna J. McCauley, can help facilitate this process.

Is Financial Aid Available?
Information regarding grants and scholarships is available from Financial Aid (708) 974-5343.

Does the program include an internship experience?
A required part of the Moraine Valley Community College Recreation Therapy Program is the Practicum/Seminar component, which allows you to gain a valuable experience through a firsthand view of the field. You will work 200 clock hours during the semester at approved sites, as well as meeting with the internship coordinator to discuss your experiences in the field. To qualify for an practicum, you must complete the required career courses. Effective fall 2006, internship experiences will be limited to the spring semester. Students who plan to complete an internship in spring semester must notify the Program Coordinator in writing on or before October 1. Also,Upon completion of your courses, you will set up a meeting with the internship coordinator. By participating in the Practicum/Seminar, you will make strong professional contacts and form concrete career goals.  For more information on THR-233/237 please contact:

Donna J. McCauley, Internship Coordinator
Recreation Therapy Program
Moraine Valley Community College
(708) 974-5227

 About Us | Academics | Admissions/Registration | Resources | Student Activities | What's Happening

Moraine Valley Community College, 9000 W. College Pkwy., Palos Hills, IL 60465-2478 
(708) 974-4300  TTY (708) 974-9556
All rights reserved.