Home | Class Schedule | Library | Campus Visit | Employment | Contact Us | Search  

About Us | Academics | Admissions/Registration | Resources | Student Activities | What's Happening


Courses Offered

Proficiency Credit/APL

Request for Information

Scholarship and Financial Aid Information

Addictions Studies

Criminal Justice

Fire Service Management

Fire Service Operations

Fitness Trainer

Physical Education and Health

Security Services
(formerly Private Protective Services)

Recreation Management

Recreation Therapy




Security Services (formerly Private Protective Services)—FAQs

With the threat of terrorism in our country today, how can the Security Services program assist me in participating to maintain our freedom?
In the event of a terrorist attack, natural disaster or other large-scale emergency, the Department of Homeland Security will assume primary responsibility for ensuring that emergency response professionals are properly prepared to handle each situation. Under the Coordinated Resources section, security services such as those listed below will be called upon.

  • Health and hospital public safety departments

  • Retail loss prevention

  • Transportation, (including airport security, railroad passenger and freight carriers security)

  • Private gated communities with contractual protection or special police jurisdiction

  • Colleges and universities public safety departments, regulated under the federal security act

  • Organized neighborhood watch programs

Is there a structured internship program associated with my studies in security services?
Yes, a well-rounded internship program is available that enhances your skills and clearly presents an opportunity for you to apply your educational experiences.

Can I transfer into security services to accumulate credit hours with my (30) hour certification?
Credit hours are available from prior related security experiences. Contact your program director or review the transfer guides from the Academic Advising Center for special conditions that apply.

Will I be able to transfer my credit hours to earning a four-year college or university applicable to my B.A. degree?
The security services department offers career education course work that prepares you for entry-level jobs in related fields. Job certification requirements and job skill improvement, along with career development, prepare you for an educational growth through experience. Some transfer credits are available to a four-year college or university. Contact your career counselor or program coordinator.

 About Us | Academics | Admissions/Registration | Resources | Student Activities | What's Happening

Moraine Valley Community College, 9000 W. College Pkwy., Palos Hills, IL 60465-2478 
(708) 974-4300  TTY (708) 974-9556
All rights reserved.