A tutor must agree to keep all information concerning a student confidential.
A tutor is someone who...
- has a caring attitude
- is sensitive to the needs of the adult learner
- is positive but honest during the learning sessions
- is supportive and helpful
- develops a relationship with the student built upon mutual respect and trust
A tutor needs to ...
- work with the student to identify present academic goals
- become familiar with materials that are available for adult learners
- continue learning about teaching techniques and materials by attending in-service workshops held throughout the year
- guide and pace the teaching sessions in order to facilitate learning for the individual studen
- provide reinforcement and constructive feedback
- help the student gain increased independence and confidence in his/her ability to learn
- maintain a professional relationship with the student
A new tutor must agree to the following requirements:
- complete an 18-hour training program
- attend several of the monthly in-service workshop sessions to be held throughout the year (a minimum of two per year)
- meet with a student on a regular schedule (at least one day per week, for a minimum of two hours)
- commit to stay in the program for a minimum of one year
- complete and submit required forms to the office one week after the end of each quarter
- notify the office if you or your student need to stop tutoring sessions for more than one month