Moraine Valley Community College || International Student Affairs || Community Orientation || Driving and Automobiles

Driving and Automobiles

Driver Responsibilities

Always carry a valid driver's license.

  • Understand and obey the traffic laws and state laws regarding automobiles and driving. See the Illinois RULES OF THE ROAD book available online or in our office or the Secretary of State offices.
  • Purchase and maintain insurance for your automobile at all times.
  • Carry automobile registration and insurance proof in your car.
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times while driving, including all passengers.
  • NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE! This is a very serious offense.

Purchasing an Automobile

The following are a few suggestions to know before purchasing an automobile.

  • You may wish to consult the guides available for purchasing cars, such as Consumer Reports: Auto Hub available online at or for automotive information.
    Usually, you may wish to look through the local newspapers in your area for a listing of used and new cars for sale. You must negotiate the price of a car.
  • Before you purchase a used car, you may want to have a reliable mechanic inspect the car for problems.
  • When you purchase a car be sure to obtain the "title" from the previous owner, and be sure the title is signed over to you properly. The title is an official document issued by the state that signifies ownership of the car.
  • There are specific fees and requirements you must complete to legally purchase a car. BE CAREFUL to do these procedures correctly.
  • You will need to
    1) obtain and transfer the title legally through the state of Illinois;
    2) buy license plates
    3) buy state registration sticker for the plates
    4) buy a city window sticker depending on where you live.
  • You may wish to review the benefits of membership in the "Triple A," the AAA (American Automobile Association) for convenient road assistance policies at a reasonable price and other benefits.
  • Local "currency exchange" facilities usually are able to provide the services necessary for purchasing plates, stickers, and transferring the title through the state of Illinois for a very small fee.

Local Driving Schools

We are not endorsing or recommending any particular school. The following is a short list of local driving schools for your general information; this is not a complete list.

A-Orland Driving School
Lessons available 7 days a week.
Orland Park, (708) 460-6622
Oak Lawn, (708) 425-7111

Scaduto Driving School
Lessons available 7 days a week. Free home pick-up. Located in Oak Lawn. Call (708) 423-1212.

Automobile Insurance

All drivers in the state of Illinois are required by law to have insurance for their automobile. The following information explains briefly the types of automobile insurance available.

  • Liability Insurance is the basic insurance required by law. This is the minimal insurance protection. This type of insurance is to pay for the costs of damages to the other person if you hit them. It may be better to purchase more than the minimal insurance because liability insurance does not help pay for your car if damaged.
  • Collision Insurance is to protect your automobile. If you are in an accident, collision insurance pays for the cost of the car repairs.
  • Comprehensive Insurance also protects your automobile in the case of theft, fire, natural disasters, or vandalism.
  • "Full Coverage" includes both liability and collision. The automobile will be repaired if it is damaged, and if the automobile is stolen, it will be replaced. This type of insurance is usually preferred if you purchase a newer car.

The cost of your auto insurance is based on risk and other factors:

  • The insurance coverage you choose (liability, collision, full coverage)
  • Where you live (city vs. suburb)
  • The kind of car you drive (more expensive cars cost higher insurance)
  • Your age (younger drivers are more expensive to insure)
  • Your gender (younger males are viewed as a higher risk)
  • Who is authorized to drive the car (yourself, wife, husband, children)

Ask a lot of questions when buying your insurance and understand your benefits. You may wish to comparison shop between insurance companies for the best rate.

Driver's License and State ID Card

Effective January 1, 2005, the Secretary of State's office began issuing "Temporary Visitor Drivers License" (TVDL) for non-citizens of the United States who have been granted temporary, legal entry into this country and are temporarily residing in the State of Illinois and ineligible for a social security number. A temporary visitors drivers license is valid for three years and can be renewed as long as the holder has been granted and extension to their stay.

Students who will drive in the U.S. need to obtain a driver's license issued by the state in which they live. For students at Moraine Valley, you should plan to obtain the state of Illinois Driver's License. However, we strongly recommend you also obtain the International Driver's License or your home country driver's license, so you may legally drive while you are waiting to obtain the state license.

Secretary of State Offices
You can get an Illinois state ID card, or a driver's license at the Secretary of State office.

To get an Illinois driver's license you will need to bring the following documents to the local Secretary of State office:

  • passport
  • proof of your Illinois address;
  • Moraine Valley registration form confirming classes. This is done within the first two weeks of your arrival on campus.
  • Special letter from the Social Security Administration that you are not eligible for a social security number

To obtain the Illinois Driver's License, you must bring the above documents to the Secretary of State facility, and be able to take and pass both a written exam and a driving (road) test. You will need to have an insured automobile in good working condition. Usually a friend or relative will take you, unless you are legally able to drive yourself.

The tests can be completed in one day, as long as you are prepared. To prepare for the written test, you should study the Illinois Rules of the Road booklet. These booklets can be found online, in the International Student Affairs Office at Moraine Valley, or at the Secretary of State offices listed below.

To prepare for the road test, some people may need to attend a private driving school in order to learn how to drive a car, while others are taught with the help of their friends and/or relatives.

The Illinois Driver's License fee is $10. The Illinois ID card fee is $5.

Secretary of State Office, Chicago West (temporary)
5301 W. Lexington Ave.,
Chicago, IL. 60644
Phone: (312) 793-1010