The Moraine Valley Honors Program experience is not about doing more work or taking harder classes.
Instead, the focus is on doing work that is more engaging, involves interaction with your talented peers, and makes clear connections between the classroom and real world.
Students in our Honors classes have:
- Restored native plant species in local forest preserves in Honors Environmental Science
- Surveyed student motivation in Honors Psychology and Honors Probability and Statistics courses and presented the findings at the Honors Council of Illinois Conference
- Visited Argonne National Laboratory in Honors Chemistry
- Attended world-class theatrical performances in downtown Chicago in Honors Theater Appreciation
Aside from the benefits of taking exciting classes with outstanding students, the Honors Program also features:
- low student-to-faculty ratios
- priority registration to ensure you get the best schedule for your needs
- Honors recognition on your transcript and at the graduation ceremony
- scholarship opportunities and competitive advantages when transferring to a university
- social events and travel opportunities for local, state, and national student conferences
As an Honors Program student, you will practice analyzing, interpreting, synthesizing and problem solving in an unique setting, so you'll be able to think both critically and creatively.
By drawing upon your passion for learning, you will become an independent learner who understands yourself and your learning style, and will ultimately take the initiative regarding your own education.
You will learn team-building, collaboration, negotiation and networking skills, and feel confident adopting leadership positions in your college or community.
By developing high-level communication skills-in both speaking and writing, in both academic and social settings—you will be able to participate in your community as an active, engaged citizen.