Basic Nurse Assistant Training Program
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Have a valid Social Security number (work visas are not acceptable per the Illinois Department of Public Health).
- Complete an online Moraine Valley Community College Admission Form.
- Take the COMPASS Reading Placement Test
Before enrolling in this program, students must first document a reading level of 8th grade or higher. To accomplish this, students must take the COMPASS Reading Placement Test. Successful completion of the COMPASS Reading Placement Test at the 091 level or higher is required for admission to the BNAT Program. The approximate cost of the COMPASS Reading Placement Test is $8. See student resources for COMPASS lab hours.
Some students may be excused from taking the COMPASS Reading Placement Test because of previous academic work, i.e., college credits already earned. Students who think they may be exempted from the COMPASS Reading Placement Test should meet with an Academic Advisor. While all of our Academic Advisors are excellent, Ali Riphagen and Lissette Alvarado have worked the most closely with students enrolled in Health Science Programs. To make an appointment with Ali or Lissette, call (708) 974-5721.
- Register for HSC 150 - Basic Nurse Assistant Training
If all admission requirements have been met, students are able to view the course schedule and register for the Basic Nurse Assistant Training Program.
- Complete Health Requirements
Health Requirement forms will be distributed and explained during the first class session. By approximately the fourth week of class, students must submit the completed health forms and lab results. Students are strongly urged to complete the health requirements listed below as soon as possible. Those not completing the health requirements by the scheduled date will be unable to attend the clinical portion of the course.
Health Requirements for the BNAT Program are as follows:
- Physician's office visit to complete the History and Physical form - approximate cost: $35-$75
- Two Step TB Skin Test (requires 4 office visits) – approximate cost: $50
- Lab tests to show immunity to varicella, rubeola, rubella, mumps & hepatitis B (results of blood drawn titers verifying immunity to these diseases). Boosters must be given if not immune. Proof of being immunized as a child is not accepted. – approximate cost: $100+
- Hepatitis B vaccine (series of three) or signed waiver declining series – approximate cost: $120+
- 10 Panel Urine Drug Screen: THC, Cocaine, Opiates, PCP, Amphetamines, Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates, Methadone, Propoxyphene, Methaqualone – approximate cost: $40
- Proof of Personal Health Insurance for clinical sessions – approximate cost: $95
- Proof of Tetanus inoculation within the past 10 years – approximate cost: $25
- Proof of flu vaccine during the Fall and Spring sessions –
approximate cost: $20
Other requirements include:
- Uniform: White Scrub Top, White Scrub Pants, White closed-toe/rubber-sole shoes-approximate cost: $75
- Stethoscope and blood pressure cuff - approximate cost: $35
- Wristwatch with second (sweep) hand - $20
- Textbook/workbook package - $75
- Moraine Valley Student I.D. - $3 (included in course tuition)
- ** IL Department of Public Health electronic fingerprint fee - $30
Check or money order made payable to Moraine Valley Community College, paid in the cashier’s office the first week of class
** Criminal Background Qualification—The Illinois Department of Public Health requires that all students in this program must be electronically fingerprinted. A felony conviction will prohibit an individual from taking the program and seeking employment in any healthcare facility in the State of Illinois. Any inquiries regarding criminal convictions should be directed to the Illinois Department of Public Health at (217) 785-5133.