Is there availability of evening and weekend classes?
Currently this program consists of evening courses, but as Moraine Valley is committed to meeting students’ needs with regard to class availability, we will also examine weekend course options in the future.
How soon can I complete this certificate?
This is a multiple entrance, multiple exit certificate. You may begin in fall, spring or summer semesters. If you take two courses in the fall and spring semesters and one course in the summer, you can finish in 3 semesters.
What other programs or certificate programs at
Moraine Valley would be ideal to complete before, after, or in
conjunction with the gerontology certificate program?
We highly recommend the Recreation Therapy program, the Fitness Trainer program, the Addictions Studies degree or certificate, Basic Nurse Assistant (BNAT), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and Medical Assistant programs to name a few, which will enhance your knowledge base and fully prepare you to work with older adults in a variety of fields.
Can I transfer college course credit to meet class
requirement/credit hours required for the program?
In some instances this may be possible, usually when the coursework is comparable and completed at the 300 or 400 level at a senior institution. Here is the procedure:
- Obtain the syllabus from the course you would like to transfer.
- Draft a letter requesting transfer credit, be sure to
• The syllabus indicated above
• The course you would like it to substitute
• An official copy of your transcripts, sealed.
- Once the items listed above are submitted, the program faculty will review them to determine if the courses are equivalent. If so, the appropriate paperwork will be completed. If not, you will be advised to take the corresponding MVCC course. Decisions of the faculty are final.